Friday, July 28, 2006

In this day and age

M: So, I'm glad you agreed to meet with me, what would you like to drink?
F: Coffee, black please.
The male signals to the waiter with an authorative snap of fingers, and solemnly speaks for two.

M: So, as you've been living abroad and have decided to come back home, tell me a bit about yourself.
F: What would you like to know? You already know my occupation, my education, my family background, shoot and I'll answer.
M: Well, actually, I've lived abroad myself, and I know what it's like being a part of that society, so tell me, how did you blend in with that?
F: Not too difficultly, I learned to cook the basics, relinquished my need for a maid and learned to entertain myself as an individual, making friends was a bit tough, but eventually that came along too.
M: Hmmm.... and um..... your social life, tell me about your social life, where did you go? What did you do?
F: What do you mean? You've never been there... how would you know the places I've been if I started giving you names?
M: No I mean.. did you go to bars? Did you go to clubs?
F: Yes
M: Did you have boyfriends there?
F: I dated, yes.
M: and....
F: and?
M: You know what I'm getting at...
F: I guess I do know yes, but please do continue to elaborate lest there be a tiny percentage that I may be wrong.
M: Did you drink? Do drugs? You know, are you a virgin? How far did you go with these men?
F: Hmmm... let's see. I must have drank daily, I was off my head most of the time on drugs, you know you start off with weed and hash and then before you know it cocaine is just a Friday night treat, I can't remember how many men I've slept with as I wasn't always in a right state of mind and they left before I woke up... but I assume not too many that it bugged my boyfriend.

Silence

F: anything else?
M: why wont you give me a decent answer?
F: It seems to me that this is the answer you were waiting for or had put together anyway, or else you would have asked me a decent question
M: these are decent questions
F: are they now?
M: of course!
F: So do you drink?
M: Well...um.... yes
F: Drugs?
M: Just the occasional J
F: occasional being?
M: few times a week I guess
F: how many women have you slept with?
M: I didn't count really , 12 maybe 15
F: how many of them thought you loved them?
M: I don't know, I didn't promise anything to any of them
F: how many of them are still your friends?
M: friends? (truly baffled now)
F: I don't see how your answer varies from mine really
M: of course it does, you're answer means you've been living abroad like a man would, as for me, it's expected and accepted of me
F: oh, because you're a man, hence granted a carte blanche by society to "sin" your way to the pits of hell? A passport to blasphemy, oh I do envy you.
M: you are being very aggressive, I'm sure you must've given yourself away
F: I'm sure you're sure of almost everything

the girl pays for her coffee and gets up to leave.

M (intrigued now): wait, it seems we got off on the wrong foot, I still have many other questions to ask you, your travels, your work, your experiences as a photographer, the languages you've learnt, your passion for the violin, I've heard all about that too...

F: Funny, I have no more questions for you.


Note: I think being a feminist negates the point by stating that there is a need to defend, and the need to defend portrays weakness and a lesser value.
I do however, believe in individualism, equality, a person's liberty to choose, and the disregard of anything but actions and thoughts, be it gender, race, country or religeon. May the world be free of all these ism's one day.

3 comments:

FreudianSlip said...

I've met this guy. We've had a very similiar conversation. I hate this guy. (he represents 98% of every Arab/Egyptian guy i know)

N said...

This guy is why i dread moving back home and would now to my very own shock rather marry a foreigner.

FreudianSlip said...

I hear you.