Sunday, April 13, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love

An excerpt:

".....I have a history of making decisions very quickly about men. I have always fallen in love fast and without measuring risks. I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone, but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than i care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and then i have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long) waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance i have been a victim of my own optimism."

I think that is the best expressed written paragraph i have ever read.

11 comments:

haijekov said...

My God this is so damn TRUE!!!
It perfectly describes my past relationship!

Can i quote this post???

N said...

it's from the book "Eat, Pray, Love"

i'm sure Elizabeth Gilbert wouldn't mind :)

Daysleeper said...

*sigh*
i imagine the most potentially amazing men. i'm making a movie about one. it depresses me to no end. she's so right.

although-- to be fair, and this is definitely not as universal as elizabeth's experience, but i find i do underestimate the sweet guys

i always imagine if they're too forward it's because they have nothing to lose. i'm buying that book :)

LouLou said...

Well, I think optimisim is cool. It takes more courage than I personally have but if you keep giving people the benefit of the doubt and having great expectations of them, you can bring out the best in them. Occasionally some may surprise you by living up to your expectations.

I have quite a few male friends who have 'blossomed' in relationships with trusting, optimistic females.

I think it's just important to pick someone who has the right potential.

Nora said...

Excellent quote...
I'm gonna buy the book too!

:o)

Sou said...

I finished reading this book a few weeks ago, and it is by far one of the best books I've ever read! The number of underline passages I have in the book are innumerable! I might as well have underlined the entire thing! :)

Anonymous said...

Where are you?!?!? I miss your posts!

علي حيدر النويسندي said...

Eat, Pray, Love

i want to read this book !!

علي حيدر النويسندي said...

Eat, Pray, Love

i want to read this book !!

Nora said...

The book is so good...
I am trying to not finish it. I have gone and reread so many parts of it...
Thanks for the recomendation...

Faisal said...

My girlfriend loves this book!

I like reading your stuff dudette. Good shit!